Macs are getting ever more popular as people buy into the high-end Macbooks and high-end all-in-one iMacs. Apple has seen a growth in computer devices like no other company in recent years. Whilst Windows is the preferred platform for Desktop users, OSX is certainly the preferred platform for laptop users. Therefore, whether you’re a new user or a current user and just want to learn some new tips, then we’ve compiled a list of some great Mac hacks that will get you using your computer quicker than ever before.
1. If you press cmd+space you’ll be brought up to Spotlight. Within Spotlight, you can search for files on your computer, do maths calculations and so much more. It’s definitely the best calculator on any OS.
2. Pretty much any shortcut that involves ctrl on Windows can be replicated with the cmd key on a Mac. For example ctrl+c for copy is cmd+c for Mac etc.
3. Oh and did you know that Macs have a built-in Emoji keyboard that allows you to input your favourite Emoji into almost any space that allows you to write text? Oh yeah!
4. If you’re on a Macbook laptop then you can quickly search the onboard dictionary for the meaning of a word by simply tapping three fingers on that word or with the following keyboard combination. This will bring up a little drop-down dialogue box to show you the definition.
5. If you want to do that thing where you can delete text that’s to the right of the curser rather than the text to the left then you can simply hit cmd+Backspace and it will begin deleting from right to left rather than left to right.
6. You can quickly see your desktop by holding four fingers on the trackpad and swiping them all apart from one another. This will cause whatever windows you have open to be dispanded to the edges of the screen allowing you to access your desktop.
7. If you’re fed up of all these notificatios coming through and need to just get on with a work of they’re ruining your film, then you can stop them by scrolling up in the notification shade and hittin ‘Do Not Disturb’.
8. Just as in Windows, you can cycle through your open applications by hitting cmd+tab and it will allow you to cycle through them by tapping tab to change which app. Whichever one you let cmd on will open up. Simples.
9. If you’re using a smaller Mac laptop like the 11″ Macbook Air or 12″ Macbook then you may want to free up some screen space by getting rid of the dock. This is easy, all you do is press ctrl+cmd+d and then dock will disappear. You just repeart the key combination to get it to reappear.
10. If you want to record your screen, you can, and it’s super easy. Simply go into Quicktime which comes free with Mac, then go to File>>New Screen Recording and then adjust your settings for audio, quality and other stuff and get recording!