Using A Mi-Fi Device To Connect All Your Apple Devices
When you look at getting mobile broadband you should consider all the options that are available to you. You can get a traditional dongle or you can look into a Mi-Fi device. Before you make any decisions you should consider what a Mi-Fi device is and what it has to offer you. You should also look at all the specifics regarding these devices. Once you know all of this you will be able to determine if the Mi-Fi device is suitable for your needs. You can also learn how to use the device and how to regulate what you are using with this.
Of course, if you have a 3G or 4G iPad on an EE or O2 iPad deal it will include a data plan but if you have no data plan, or plans, then a Mi-Fi device is the perfect answer.
You will need to consider how much data you want and how much you want to spend. If you only had a Wi-Fi only iPad you will not be able to get a SIM for it.
What is Mi-Fi?
Before you can consider getting onto the Internet with a Mi-Fi device you have to consider what a Mi-Fi device is. Mi-Fi devices are small wireless routers that allow more than one device to connect to the Internet at any one time. This is done by emitting wireless mobile broadband connections.
Like all mobile broadband devices, the Mi-Fi device will connect to the 3G and/or 4G network. The network that you can connect to will depend on the network that you are working with and the deal you have taken. If you are with a network that offers 4G connections then you will need to get a package that offers you this connection with the Mi-Fi device.
How Does Mi-Fi Work?
When you look at connecting with a Mi-Fi device you have to know how this device works. As the device is connecting to the mobile broadband network it will need to have a SIM card. The SIM card will be placed into the device much like when you use a USB mobile broadband dongle. Once a connection has been established the device will transmit a cloud of wireless signal. This signal is what you are going to be using to get online.
Connecting to the Internet
There are a number of steps that you have to take to get onto the Internet with a Mi-Fi device. Some of these steps have to be taken before you have the device while others will be completed once the device has connected to the mobile broadband network.
- The first step in connecting to the Internet with your Mi-Fi device is getting the mobile broadband package. Most of the Mi-Fi packages will come with the device and a lot of the network providers will insert the SIM card for you. When you look at the packages you have to consider how much data you are going to need and the type of contract that you want.
- Once you have the device you will need to insert the SIM card if this has not already been done for you. The way that you do this will vary depending on the device that you have. You should be able to find out how to do this in the manual that comes with the device.
- When you have the SIM card in the device you have to turn it on and wait for the device to register a mobile broadband signal. There will be some indication that the device has a signal, but this will vary depending on the device that you are going to be using.
- Once you have a connection to the mobile broadband you should be able to connect to the device from your computer, tablet or smart phone. The way that you connect to the Mi-Fi device is the same way that you will be connecting to your Wi-Fi connections. The Mi-Fi device name should appear in your wireless connections area and from there you should be able to connect.
- After you have connected your computer, tablet or smart phone to the Mi-Fi device you should be able to get online. If you cannot then you should double check that your Mi-Fi device is connected to the Internet.
The Number of Devices that Can Connect
When you are looking at using a Mi-Fi device you are generally looking to connect more than one device at a time. Many of the Mi-Fi devices are able to handle 5 different Apple device connections. There are some that can offer more connections and this will become more common when the device technology improvers.
You have to be careful with the number of people that you have connected to your Mi-Fi device. The more people who are connected the slower the overall speeds will be. This is due to the device having to work harder to accommodate all of the connections.
The Speeds of the Connection
A lot of people know that the transition of wired broadband into wireless can affect the speeds. These people may wonder if the same can be said for Mi-Fi. Mi-Fi connections are not actually affected as much by the wireless signals as you may imagine. This is due to the act that all mobile broadband is essentially wireless.
With a Mi-Fi device you will be able to get the possible 21MB speeds of 3G connection if you are in a strong signal area. However, you should note that the number of devices connected to your Mi-Fi device will affect the speeds you are getting. This is the same as the number of devices affecting the speeds that you get with a fixed line broadband connection. The more people using the device the more people the speeds have to be spread over.
The Costs of Mi-Fi
With many network providers the Mi-Fi device is not that much more expensive than the normal dongle. However, the cost differences that come generally stem from the amount of data that you are using. It is often harder to keep track of Mi-Fi data usage than the data usage with a dongle. This is due to the fact that more people can use the connection and this means that more people are using the data.
When you use a Mi-Fi device you have to consider how you are going to track the usage. If you do not track the usage then you could face a high bill for excessive use. You should also find out how to password protect the connection your Mi-Fi device is emitting. It is possible to find the best Mi-Fi device deals through comparison websites like uSwitch.